In “The Black Church” docuseries on PBS, Henry Louis Gates Jr. explores the roots, emergence and development of African American religion in the U.S.
The first part of “The Black Church” series examines the trans-Atlantic slave trade and the ways in which enslaved Africans maintained their spiritual practices through the end of slavery.
Here are some articles relevant to subjects covered in “The Black Church” series for those interested in taking a closer look at African American Christianity:
- Museum highlights ‘Slave Bible’ that focuses on servitude, leaves out freedom
- How Black Women Preachers Spoke Truth to Power
- Understanding the Future of Black Politics Means Understanding the Future of the Black Church
- The Power of a Song in a Strange Land – on African-American Spirituals
- Building the Future: The Life of the Unstoppable Mary McLeod Bethune (Remember)
- Lynching Preachers: How Black Pastors Resisted Jim Crow and White Pastors Incited Racial Violence
“The Black Church” Part 1
“The Black Church” Part 2
Visit “The Black Church” site on PBS