Faithfully Magazine, an ethnically-inclusive news and culture publication centering on Christian communities of color, is a sponsor of the Call and Response Conference (#CARC2018) taking place at Northeastern Seminary in October.
This conference, being held for the very first time, brings together some of the most active and informed voices whose collective influence reaches across diverse communities.
As evidenced by a recent New York Times article examining “Why Black Worshipers Are Leaving White Evangelical Churches” and myriad surveys, discussions, and controversial events, Black Christians have sought to earnestly address the disconnect, confusion, pain—and ignorance—revealed among the greater body since Ferguson (2014) and more recently since the 2016 presidential election.
What is the Call and Response Conference?
As explained on the event website, the Call and Response Conference “(takes) its name and inspiration from the [B]lack preaching tradition in which the pastor and congregation joined together in the effective proclamation of the gospel…” The conference aims to bring together “church folks, marketplace and nonprofit leaders, pastors, practitioners, artists, and activists from across generations to respond faithfully to the challenges and opportunities of the present moment in America.”
Speakers will bring “a prophetic witness to the church and the nation while remaining biblically-grounded in a holistic gospel that has the power to transform lives and communities.”
Who Are the Call and Response Conference Speakers?
You will hear from speakers including:
- SHO BARAKA – Artist and Co-Founder of AND Campaign
- SANTES BEATTY – Director of Multiethnic Ministries for The Wesleyan Church World Headquarters
- CHRISTENA CLEVELAND, PHD – Author & Professor at Duke Divinity
- CHARLIE DATES, PHD – Senior Pastor at Progressive Baptist Church
- CHRISTINA EDMONDSON, PHD – Dean for Intercultural Student Development at Calvin College
- DENNIS EDWARDS, PHD – Senior Pastor at Sanctuary Covenant Church
- LISA FIELDS – Founder & President of Jude 3 Project
- MICHELLE HIGGINS – Director of Faith for Justice
- ESAU MCCAULLEY, PHD – Professor at Northeastern Seminary
- DEE MCINTOSH – Pastor
- MARVIN MCMICKLE, PHD – President of Colgate Rochester Crozier Divinity School
- NATASHA SISTRUNK ROBINSON – Author & Founder of Leadership LINKS, Inc.
- TRUTH’S TABLE – Midwives of Culture for Grace and Truth
- EKEMINI UWAN – Writer & Activist
When and Where is the Call and Response Conference Taking Place?
The Call and Response Conference takes place October 4-6 at Northeastern Seminary’s Roberts Wesleyan College in Rochester, New York. Check out the conference schedule to get an idea of what’s planned: https://www.callandresponseconference.com/schedule.
What’s Faithfully Magazine’s Role As a Conference Sponsor?
Faithfully Magazine will provide coverage related to the Call and Response Conference before the event, as well as during and after the conference. Attendees are welcomed to share any conference-related content with us via this Google submission form. Faithfully Magazine will not be able to reply to every submission. However, we will contact those who send submissions our readers will find most impactful.
All Call and Response Conference-related coverage can be found at https://faithfullymagazine.com/staging/carc-2018.
How to Stay Connected and Get Regular Updates
There are several ways to make sure you get regular updates on the Call and Response Conference. Follow Faithfully Magazine on Twitter (@faithfullymag), Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/faithfullymagazine), and sign up for our newsletter.
We highly recommend registering for the Call and Response Conference or finding a way to see how you can support this very important and timely gathering. Go to www.callandresponseconference.com to learn more.